ECU first played UCF on Sept. 21, 1991 in Orlando, Florida, winning the game 47-25. Saturday will mark the 19th installment of the series and seventh since the American Athletic Conference was formed.
Below are some interesting notes and pieces of information ahead of ECU’s season-opener on Saturday. You can also find a preview of the game here.
- ECU leads the all-time series against UCF 10-8 (6-4 in Greenville) but the Knights have won the last four overall.
- ECU last beat UCF on Nov. 19, 2015 in Orlando (44-7)
- Latest ECU has kicked off its season since 1947
- UCF has won four straight conference openers (11-7 all-time)
- ECU has won eight of its last 12 season openers
- UCF is 36-4 in its last 40 games, including a 49-21 win over Georgia Tech on Sept. 19
- The Knights will enter Saturday ranked 13th in the AP poll, their 50th total week being ranked
- UCF is 36-4 when ranked (12-2 on the road)
- ECU is 13-60-1 all-time vs. AP ranked opponents — last win was Sept. 20, 2014 against No. 25 UNC
- UCF had 10 plays of 20-plus yards against Georgia Tech last week — WR Marlon Williams had four
- UCF QB Dillon Gabriel passed for a career-high 417 yards against Georgia Tech — Knights racked up 660 total yards of offense.
- UCF’s seven TD drives last week averaged 7.2 plays, 62.5 yards, 2:21 TOP
- UCF — 80% (68-of-85) of scoring drives in 2019 were under three minutes
- ECU’s average TD drive in 2019 averaged 7.1 plays, 2:31 TOP
- ECU is 40-43-1 in season-openers since 1932 — last win was Sept. 3, 2016 against Western Carolina
- ECU has lost 11 of its last 12 games against teams from Florida
- UCF is one of six FBS programs to win 35 games in last three years
- UCF has scored at least 24 points in 40 straight games, 30-plus points in 38 of last 39 games, 40 points in 24 of last 39 games, and 50 points in 12 of last 39 games
- UCF has scored at least one rushing and one passing TD in 40 straight games (longest active streak in the nation)
- ECU has forced at least one turnover in last 11 games (longest streak since 2009)
- ECU is 130-119-1 all-time in the month of September
- ECU is 19-6 in its last 25 September home games
- ECU turned the ball over 17 times in 2019 (third fewest since 2000)
- ECU — OL D’Ante Smith (25) and DB Davondre Robinson (21) have the longest starting streaks on their respective side of the ball heading into 2020
- UCF was picked to win the American Athletic Conference in 2020 — has been picked to do so four times since 2013
- ECU was picked to finish 10th in the AAC Preseason poll
- ECU is 7-2 on Sept. 26 since 1953 — last win was in 2015 against VT (35-28)
ECU and UCF will kick-off on Saturday at noon inside Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. The game will be televised nationally on ABC.